General Information
Phone Numbers
Fax: 307-322-2245
Emergencies: Dial 911
800 9th Street
PO Box 728

Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Recording Information

About Recordings:

Recordings are the most important service the Platte County Clerk's Office provides. A recording is any document that needs to be a matter of permanent, public record. Most often a recording has to do with land records, so recorded documents are usually deeds, mortgages, contracts for deeds, mining claims, etc. However, our office does record Military Discharge papers (DD214s).

Here are some things we look for before recording a document:

  • All documents must be originals or certified copies
  • Document Format:
    • No larger than legal size (8 1/2" x 14"); fees are the same for letter and legal size
    • Two (2) inch top margin; one (1) inch right hand, left hand and bottom margins
    • May be double-sided; however, each side counts as one page to calculate fees
    • Cover letters are not required, but they are appreciated as they contain helpful contact information
  • All documents on which a signature is required must be notarized
  • Names must be printed or typed under all signatures except for notaries and witnesses
  • All documents must have both a "Grantor" and a "Grantee"
  • Documents which need to be abstracted must have a valid Platte County legal description
  • Documents may still be recorded without a legal description, but they will not be abstracted
  • Deeds or other documents which convey ownership or interest must be accompanied by a Statement of Consideration (SOC). The SOC is a confidential document used by the County Assessor to determine market value of all property in the county
  • Documents must also come with the proper recording fees (see Fees)
  • All documents must be clearly readable and reproducible

Our office will not accept any deed, contract or other document transferring legal or equitable title to real property until a completed SOC has been signed by the grantee or their agent! Please see our Notice to that effect!

The Platte County Clerk's Office is a recording depository only. We cannot provide legal advice on what, when, why or how to record a document. Our office strongly suggests going to a licensed attorney to prepare documents to record or to draw up the paperwork themselves. We will record any document as long as it meets the above-mentioned standards.

How to research land records:

There are multiple ways you can research land records:

  1. In person. Our staff is unable to conduct research for you. However, we would be more than happy to show you how to research in order to help get you started.
  2. Online. Records from 2002 to present are available online by visiting the iDocmarket. Users will be required to subscribe and pay a fee to inspect those records. Those fees are:
    1. Daily accesses - $10 for 24 hours of access with unlimited views and unlimited prints
    2. Monthly access - $50 for 30 days of access with unlimited views and unlimited prints
    3. Yearly access - $500 for 365 days of access with unlimited views and unlimited prints
  3. Title companies provide an essential service to the public. They can provide information for recording documents as well as researching titles to be sure they are clear of liens and outside interest. Title companies also provide title insurance which can save enormous problems when buying or selling property. There are two title companies in Wheatland and they are:

First American Title Company
1560 Johnston St., Ste E
Wheatland, WY 82201
Phone: 307-322-2133
Fax: 307-322-2213

Premier Title Company
900 8th St.
Wheatland, WY 82201
Phone: 307-322-1588
Fax: 307-322-1660

Military Discharge Forms (DD214s):

Pursuant to Wyoming State Statute §19-14-104, each Wyoming County Clerk shall record military discharge documents free of charge. However, that veteran must have been honorably discharged or relieved from active service. Once recorded with our office, these documents are not available for public inspection. Discharge forms are only available to the discharged person, the person's authorized agent, that person's dependents, the veterans' service officer, the Wyoming Veteran's Commission, a peace officer or pursuant to a court order. These discharge forms may be transferred to a public archive ten years after the death of the veteran, or 100 years from the time of discharge or release if the date of the veteran's death is unknown.