General Information
Phone Numbers
Fax: 307-322-2245
Emergencies: Dial 911
2020 South Street
PO Box 728

Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Marriage License FAQ

No answers matched your search
What do I need to apply for a Marriage License?

The applications required by our office can be found under the Clerk's Office Forms page. The application is titled, "Applicant & Spouse Questionnaires."

- Both parties must be present in order to apply for a marriage license.

- Both parties must have valid photo identification

- Here is some information you will need for the application:

  • Basic information about the both parties (name, address, social security #, etc.)
  • Both sets of parents' full names including mother's maiden names
  • The state in which both sets of parents were born
  • The number of marriages both parties have had prior to this one
    • If you have been divorced before you will need to know the date of your divorce(s)!
  • The number of years of school each person has completed

- The appropriate Fee

How much does a marriage license cost?

The fee for a marriage license is found under "Miscellaneous Fees" section of the Clerk Fee Schedule web page. This fee must be paid with cash or a check. At this time the Clerk's Office does not accept marriage license fees to be paid by credit or debit card.

What is the minimum age to be married in Wyoming?

Pursuant to Wyoming State Statute §20-1-102, two parties may be married if they are 16 years of age. If either party involved in the marriage is a minor (under the age of 18 but over the age of 16) then parental consent will be required for each party who is a minor. If both parties involved are over the age of 18 then no parental consent is required.

How long is the license valid?

A license issued by our office is only valid for one year from the date of issuance. If a wedding is not performed within one year from the date of issuance of the license then the license is no longer valid. 

Who can perform a marriage?

Pursuant to Wyoming State Statute §20-1-106, a judge or any ordained minister (or other qualified person acting in accordance with the traditions or rites for the solemnization of marriage of any religion, denomination or religious society) is authorized to perform a marriage. 

What do I do with the license after the wedding?

After the wedding, the license must be returned to our office in order to be recorded. There is no fee associated with returning the license to our office. However, please make sure you have all the appropriate signatures before returning the license to our office. You will need the signatures of:

  • The officiant
  • The married couple
  • Two witnesses (the addresses for both witnesses is also required by law)
How do I get a copy of my marriage license?

Certified copies of marriage licenses may be obtained from our office for $5.00. Certified copies are usually available within a week after the marriage takes place. An application for a certified copy of a marriage license is found under the Clerk Forms page. The form is titled, "Certified Copy of Marriage License."

If you have been married for more than one year please apply for a certified copy of a marriage license by visiting the Wyoming Department of Vital Statistics.

How do I change my name once I'm married?

If either party wishes to change his or her name after getting married, please contact the United States Social Security Administration for an application for a new card, or call (307)772-2135 for more information.
The local Social Security office is located at:
5353 Yellowstone Rd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009

What do I do if I don't want to be married any longer?

Our office only joins people in happy matrimony, if "happy" no longer describes your matrimony and you wish to divorce please visit with the Clerk of District Court.